Then came Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Its church building gone, St. Peter’s struck an agreement with Handsboro Presbyterian Church several miles east and north on Pass Road, to hold two Sunday services and a weekday Eucharist and Healing service, as well as regular weeknight programs at special times. Although parishioners had scattered after the storm – some of them permanently – the parish continued to grow in numbers as newcomers to the area found it and made it their church home. Through it all, parishioners maintained their characteristic sense of humor, calling the church St. Peter’s in-the Sea. During one visit to the temporary home of the parish, the Bishop dubbed it St. Peter’s by-the-Kmart, a reference to the large department store directly across the street.
1909 15th Street
Gulfport, MS 39501