A decision had to be made: to go, or not to go back to the beach front location, and if not to go back, where to go? A survey polled the congregation, revealing that 75% of parishioners wanted to go home. On a cold and damp Saturday in February 2006, parishioners gathered to clean up the site and salvage what church possessions they could by digging in the dirt surrounding the remains of the building. They shivered and huddled together as the day ended with a Baptism and Eucharist in the building’s shell. The following Tuesday, the Vestry voted unanimously to begin plans to return to 1912 East Beach Boulevard.
The St. Peter’s by-the-Sea Building Committee once again engaged Errol Barron to enlarge the footprint to include new seating sections on the Epistle and Gospel sides. The Chapel was also lengthened and other modifications were made to various areas of the church, all in the interest of accommodating a larger membership. For the most part, however, the original church style remained intact. The same stained glass windows returned, and with them additional smaller lancet windows in the transepts, the choir vesting room and the brides’ room, all containing scriptural symbols and shards of the old windows that had been collected among the debris. Once again, George P. Hopkins Contractors, Inc. was the general contractor, this time with George P. Hopkins, III at the helm. Parishioner and contractor John Ruble built the new parish hall. The first worship services were held in the new church on Christmas Eve, 2007.